The Geek Bucket List
As we get ready to remount GEEKS! THE MUSICAL at Write Act Rep in Hollywood, I’ve been talking to more and more people about their geeky interests. There are so many pockets of interest out there, one can’t possibly know them all. There are a few things missing from my geek portfolio that I need to catch up on before I, or my career, dies.
So here is my Geek Bucket List:
1. Watch the New Battlestar Galactica. I know, I know. Bad geek! I did watch the first few episodes, but I was one of the few who was not enthralled by it right away, so never continued. Turns out that was a huge mistake. I was going to start watching it when they played it on BBC America, but just plain forgot. Someday.
2. Watch more early Doctor Who episodes. Hartnell may be a little slow, but I should see some more of his. Troughton does annoy me (there I’ve said it), but maybe I need to give him more of a chance. And Pertwee is just so cool, but back in the day, his never made it to my local PBS station. I’ve seen lots of Baker and Davidson, but there may be some gaps there I have to fill. I’m pretty caught up after that.
3. Watch all of Dark Shadows. As I mentioned in my last blog, I’ve never seen the entire run of the show. Granted, that may take the rest of my life, but if I learn how to fast forward through the boring parts…
4. Read the sci-fi classics I’ve missed. Someday I’ll get to Ender’s Game, though I’m not sure about the Wheel of Time series. And I do need to read more Asimov, Clarke, Dick and Gibson. Someday I’ll actually read The Silmarillion that’s collecting dust on my shelf. Dare I attempt Terry Brooks or Terry Pratchet? And should I bother with the 4th and 5th Dune books?
5. Watch the sci-fi classics I’ve missed. I’ve done well in this department, but there are a few classics and cult classics I still need to catch. For instance: Escape From New York, Forbidden Planet, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Soylent Green, Westworld
6. Catch up on Fables. It’s probably the best comic series since Sandman, so of course, I missed it at the beginning. But now I’m on the 9th graphic novel. So many more to go, but I am committed.
7. Read the classic comics I’ve yet to read. There are surprisingly many. Though I’ve sworn to never buy another Frank Miller book, I should someday catch up on what he did with Daredevil as well as his Sin City. But that’s it! Regardless of what Emerson sings, Alan Moore has written well since the Watchmen. I’ve read most, but From Hell slipped through the cracks. And there are so many independent comics I just wasn’t hip enough to catch the first time around: The Authority, Bone, Flight, Ghost World, Maus, Mouse Guard, Powers, Y The Last Man. And I’d really like to read more Hellblazer.
That’s a lot of stuff to do. But I’m sure I’ll get to it someday. I’ve often discussed with my friends the idea of a geekation – just taking a week or a long weekend, going somewhere with a stack of graphic novels and DVDs and just spending that time indulging. Hmmm… maybe after the next run of GEEKS! THE MUSICAL. If I’m not too busy writing the sequel…